In the heat of the summer months, we at Smart Lunches tend to edge away from breakfast staples like stovetop oatmeal or griddled pancakes and instead opt for something a little more seasonal, like a chilled bowl of Greek yogurt with honey and berries. Cold, creamy, and rich with probiotics and protein, Greek yogurt is a tasty, energizing snack for sticky summer weather. We also love that when folded into baked goods like muffins or snacking cakes, Greek Yogurt provides an extra dose of protein and tenderness to daily treats—without leaving them dense or unable to bake through.
Greek Yogurt and Honey Muffins—sweet, moist, and slightly chilled—are perfect for the summer months. If you’d like to try them, we have the recipe for you below:
This recipe has no eggs or refined sugar. Gluten Free option available in description.
Greek Yogurt and Honey Muffins
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (Gluten Free Version: 1 1/2 cup oat flour + 1 extra teaspoon of baking powder)
1/3 Cup honey
1/4 cup Canola oil (or another neutral oil, like vegetable or safflower)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (we used Fage’s 2 % Yogurt)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk honey and Canola oil (a fork does the trick if you don’t have a whisk on hand).
- Add vanilla extract and Greek yogurt to wet ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Combine wet (honey mixture) and dry (flour mixture) ingredients and slowly mix until the batter is smooth.
- Place cupcake liners/muffin tins into a muffin pan. Spray cooking spray onto a paper towel, and use towel to outline the top part of the pan to keep the muffin from sticking to pan when it rises. Fill cupcake liners or tins ¾ of the way full.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the top/center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to fully cool. Store at room temperature, or keep in the fridge for a chilled snack. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk or iced tea.